Grenada is a tiny country with a rich history. It consists of 3 major islands: Grenada, Carriacou and Petit Martinique, and several small. At the same time, the total area of the entire country in 7 times smaller than the territory of Moscow.
Before the arrival of Europeans, the Arawaks and Caribs lived here., followed by waves of conquest and colonization. V 1650 Grenada was captured by the French, and in 1763 power passed to the UK. And only in 1974 year it finally gained independence. Today Grenada is a democratic country, member of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States.
Grenada is 45 white sandy beaches, cozy bays, comfortable maritime climate and crystal clear water with visibility up to 30 m. Even Christopher Columbus called the island "beautiful land": it is covered with dense tropical forests, mangroves, waterfalls, salt lakes. More in Grenada 200 plant species, 60 animal species and 80 bird species. Orchids and bamboo grow here, monkeys live, gecko, armadillos, hummingbirds, pelican.
The richness of local flora and fauna is protected by parks and reserves: "Jessamine Eden Garden", "La Sages". You can see giant tortoises nesting in Levera, and in the "Grand Etang" - a lake, formed in the crater of a volcano.
Most of the natural attractions are located near the resorts, they can be visited without the help of guides. For example, to the legendary Seven Sisters waterfall, located in the center of the island 30-40 minutes walk. Truth, seasoned hikers warn, that the path lies ahead in the rainforest and it is better to walk in hiking shoes, which is not a pity to get dirty in exotic mud.
Water sports are actively developed on the islands, marine life attracts diving and snorkeling enthusiasts. From sharks and predatory marine life, the beaches are surrounded by coral reefs, so these places are made for diving.
Festivals and attractions
Along with natural diversity, life in Grenada is full of holidays and destinations.
- On the islands are: Spice Mas carnival in honor of the Independence Day of Grenada, chocolate holiday, Fisherman's birthday, Grenada Drum Festival and other celebrations. Every month in Grenada there are loud fun parties with tasting of local dishes, master classes and concerts.
- Grenada - the center of production, spice export: nutmeg, curry, cover, ginger, carnation, coffee. Nutmeg production occupies a fifth of the entire world market, therefore, his flower is even depicted on the flag of the island. Tourists can come to the Dugaldston Estate plantation in the city of Gouyave, to see, how the spice goes from plant to counter. Those who wish can purchase the famous seasoning in all forms.: nutmeg is even added to rum.
- Unique attraction - Underwater Sculpture Park. It presents 65 concrete sculptures, become, rubber to mimic artificial reefs and support the island's ecosystem. At a depth 3 meters you can see the figure of a cyclist, fat man, sitting on the sofa in front of the TV, mysterious girl. The park covers almost 800 m².
- ancient museums, temples, fortresses - the legacy of the former conquerors. Fort George, built in 1710 year, used to this day: part of the building is open to visitors, the other is used by the police. Guests are attracted by the colonial style of architecture and the opportunity to touch the centuries-old history of the island.
- Grenada's Tri Island Chocolate Factory produces the famous dark organic chocolate.. Factory guests visit excursions, try several types of chocolate and prepare it yourself with ingredients to taste.
Lots of things to do on the islands: kayaking, zipline and buggy, deep sea fishing, swimming in waterfalls, yacht trips, golf… And someone will master the "liming", the art of doing nothing.
Features of national cuisine
Grenada is a gastronomic paradise for lovers of Caribbean cuisine. Her culinary tradition is a mix of African, Indian and European flavors and aromas.
- One of the most famous dishes is Oil Down.: meat mix, chicken or fish with coconut milk, flour, spices. Spread the ingredients in layers in a large saucepan and simmer until thick..
- Pigeon pea soup can be tasted in local restaurants: thick hearty potato dish, pumpkins, pork and peas.
- Seafood dishes are popular in Grenada, delicious fish varieties, such as barracuda, snapper.
- "Crabback" is prepared from crabs: shell is stuffed with crab meat, spices and baked in breadcrumbs.
- Fish cakes are made from salted cod. By the way, salted cod - an echo of the past, hundreds of years ago, sailors took salted fish with them on long journeys. And today salted fish is eaten by locals and tourists.
- The island offers a variety of vegetarian dishes.: vegetable curry, rice with peas and coconut milk, couscous.
- Among the street snacks, you should try "Double" and "Roti": Indian flatbread with meat or vegetable fillings. For those with a sweet tooth, taste the local desserts: sweet potato pudding, nutmeg flavored ice cream, spicy cupcake, currant roll.
- Of the drinks on the island, you should try cocoa tea made from grated cocoa with the addition of spices and milk. As well as the famous rum punch made from fresh fruit juice, rum and spices.
Cost of living on the island
Grenada is a relatively inexpensive place to live, costs depend on the requests and preferences of visitors. You can rent a modern apartment for $35 per night, or you can stay in a spacious villa with 3 bedrooms, swimming pool, overlooking the bay for $500 per day. Hundreds of options for travelers to choose from: apartments, condominium, guest houses, hotels.
Food prices are low, especially in local markets, where they sell fresh fruit, vegetables and fish. There is a large selection of cafes., restaurants with Asian, French, Caribbean, Italian and American cuisine. In a restaurant, dinner for three people will come out on average for $75. Add tax to your bill 8% or 10% tips.
Public transport in Grenada is also quite affordable.. Bus ride - $1, of taxis - from $5. The driver works without a meter - the price must be negotiated in advance.
Prices on the islands are quite reasonable, but it is better to calculate the budget in advance, plan expenses.
How to get there
There are no direct flights from Russia. You can get to the islands with a change through Europe and America, and then local airlines of the Caribbean. Russian tourists do not need a visa, if the period of stay is not more than 90 days.
When to go
Grenada is a sunny country with a maritime tropical climate and average temperatures. +28 ℃. Comfortable period for living - the first half of the year, from January to May. And then the rainy season begins on the islands, which will last until October. Sunny and dry weather will return only in November.
Grenada for life
The islands have a low crime rate., it is one of the safest countries in the Caribbean. According to data for 2021 all live here 124 610 human. The calm rhythm of life attracts those, who wants to get away from the hustle and bustle, the noise of big cities.
Grenada combines natural beauty and economic potential. And investors from Russia can get Grenadian citizenship by investment. For 2022 The number of applications has tripled and there are good reasons for this. Investing in the economy of Grenada provides an opportunity to receive high income on a long-term basis, enjoy tax benefits, travel without a visa, get a diploma in universities in the UK and the USA.