Island of Malta. Here the sun shines for 3,000 hours a year, olives and oleanders bloom, and the sea sings songs under the windows. It's warm, cozy and safe. Malta is a member of the European Union, which means that its residents can easily move around the countries of the Commonwealth. If you are looking for a quiet country to live and do business, consider this small European country.
Benefits of living in Malta
Wages in Malta are low compared to other European countries. But food prices are comparable to Russian ones, which means that you can live on the island outside the paycheck-to-paycheck regime.
Let's compare the average income of representatives of different specialties in Malta and in the Russian Federation. For clarity, we will convert euros into rubles (we will take a fork of the course from 80 to 90 rubles, so the prices are approximate).
Statistical data for Russia was taken from the official website of the Federal State Statistics Service.
|Profession||Average salary in Malta (according to payscale.com)||The average salary in Russia (according to rosstat.gov.ru and hh.ru)|
|Doctor||2083 euros (from 166,640 rubles)||from 46 090 rub|
|Nurse||1,833 euros (from 146,640 rubles)||from 25 616 r|
|high school teacher||1021 euros (from 81,680 rubles)||from 26 000 rub|
|IT specialist||3,564 euros (from 283,680 rubles)||from 75 000 rub|
This is interesting: the minimum wage in Malta is 850 euros (from 68,000 rubles). Unlike the Russian minimum wage (12,130 rubles), the Maltese “minimum wage” allows you to live well, eat well and travel around the Schengen countries. Not a life but a dream :)
School education in Malta is free. But a public school is not the best option for a foreign child, as education takes place in the Maltese language. If you are planning to move with a child, choose a private school for him where the teacher communicates with the students in English. The certificate of graduation from the Maltese school makes it possible to study at any university in Europe and America.
An interesting fact: in Maltese schools there are no grades and final exams familiar to Russians. They are replaced by testing.
Higher education is also free - local students receive scholarships regardless of academic performance (losers are lucky). There are no payments for foreign students. But higher education in Malta will cost foreigners less than in another country in Europe. For comparison, studying at the University of Malta costs from 1,000 euros per year, and at the University of Edinburgh - 12,000 euros per year. At the same time, the level of Maltese education is highly valued in Europe and the USA.
The cost of real estate in Malta is comparable to the price of apartments in Moscow (for autumn 2021). For example, a one-room studio of 60 sq.m on the island can be bought for 16,800,000 rubles. For the price of a Moscow apartment, you get sea, sun, fresh fruit and the leisurely delights of Mediterranean life.
Malta is a small rocky island. There are no dense forests and full-flowing rivers. But here exotic plants bloom rapidly: oleanders, mimosa, almonds, multi-colored lizards run, cedars and cacti peacefully coexist. The climate is mild, Mediterranean - down jackets and sweaters with deer can be safely left in Russia. Summers are hot and dry (up to 30 degrees), autumn-spring are pleasantly warm (20-23 degrees), winters are wet and rainy (14-16 degrees).
Forms of obtaining a residence permit in Malta
In order to live freely on the island and enjoy the benefits of the status of a Maltese resident, there are several ways:
This is the simplest form of residence permit in Malta. Being a Maltese entrepreneur is easy and enjoyable because:
- You get an advantageous geographical position in the Mediterranean Sea, access to the European market.
- There is an opportunity to recruit an English-speaking workforce with high qualifications.
- Economic life in Malta is stable and predictable, without political strife.
- There are many business incentive programs aimed at supporting Maltese businessmen: Business START, Business Advisory Services, Micro Invest, Research and Development and others. With their help, you can get a business start-up loan from 33 to 75% or an entrepreneurial grant up to 200,000 euros.
Important: The island has the lowest tax rate for entrepreneurs in the entire EU - 5%. This is possible thanks to the special tax refund regime, which reduces payments from 35% to 5-10% (details in the source).
Which companies can be opened in Malta:
|Limited Liability Company (similar to Russian LLC)
||Partnership (analogue of the Russian partnership)
||Trust (trust management)
How to register a business in Malta on your own?
- Step one
To register, you must contact the Malta Financial Authority and pay the registration fee. Its amount is calculated on a progressive scale and depends on the declared authorized capital. With a minimum capital of 1250 euros, the fee will be 7.5 % (93.7 euros). As a result, you will receive a registration certificate.
- step two
20% from the amount of the authorized capital must be deposited in a bank account on behalf of the company.
- Step Three
Buy or rent an office in Malta and register it.
The procedure for opening a business takes from one to two weeks. If you do not want to delve into the peculiarities of the Maltese legislation and fiddle with papers, turn to the help of professionals, for example, to us.
The specialists of our And Now Pleasure company will help you register a company - you just have to take control into your own hands, here are the details about registering a business abroad. Or immediately call +7 (495) 1666-959 - we will advise you.
To enter a higher educational institution in Malta, you must have 2 years of a Russian university or a year of a preparatory Maltese course. You can also participate in student exchange programs.
- If you take the course, you will receive a short-stay Schengen visa (C) - valid up to 90 days.
- Upon admission to a university, you will be issued a national long-term visa (D).
To obtain a residence permit, you need to prepare and submit to the Central Visa Office of Malta a certificate of admission to the institute, receipts for tuition fees, a bank statement on the availability of funds in the account and the class schedule.
The maximum processing time for an application is 60 days. To reduce it, apply for an educational residence permit through specialized companies.
By the way, a student residence permit entitles the student to work. True, no more than 20 hours a week (about 3 hours a day). But there will be time to prepare for the seminar, friendly gatherings and surfing on Instagram.
Way for wealthy people. It allows you to move to the island without special requirements and deadlines. True, paperwork takes longer than preparing a student version of a residence permit - the period is three months. But the investment program makes it possible to move with the whole family and even take a nanny, cleaner or gardener with you.
The Maltese government issues residence permits to citizens of other states in exchange for financial injections into the country's economy.
How to get a residence permit by investing:
- Make sure you meet the requirements. The investor must be a person with no criminal record, good knowledge of English or Maltese. Prepare medical policies for all participants. You will have to pass a due diligence check and confirm financial solvency.
Please note: there is no official information on how much the applicant must have in the account in order for the Maltese authorities to consider him financially secure. Experts recommend putting at least 15,000 euros in the bank for everyone who participates in the program, including children.
- Pay a non-refundable investment fee of 6,000 euros. To reduce the payment, you can choose to live on the small island of Gozo, and not the main one (Valletta) - the cost of investment in this case will drop to 5,500 euros.
- Buy or rent property. In Valletta, the price of housing should not be lower than 275,000 euros (purchase) or 9,600 euros per year (rent). In Gozo, the price of investment in real estate is between 250,000 euros and 8,750 euros respectively.
Important: if you want to get a Maltese passport, the purchased property cannot be sold or rented out for 5 years. To avoid these problems, buy housing in Special Investor Districts (SDAs). The purchase of such real estate does not require permission from the authorities and it can be rented out without any problems.
- Apply for the program Form B. Attach copies of passports, birth certificates of children, a certificate from the police received no later than 6 months before submitting the application, a contract for the sale of housing or rent, a bank statement on the state of the account.
What does the investor get:
- Special tax resident status with a set of benefits: flat income tax (15%), no taxes on royalties, luxury, salary from abroad and inheritance.
- Visa-free travel within the Schengen countries.
- Freedom - no need to permanently reside in Malta. Enough 183 days a year.
Obtaining a residence permit under the investment program will take maximum 3 months. In order not to face difficulties and guaranteed to obtain a residence permit, seek the help of specialists. We will save you from the tedious collection of documents, queues and wasted time - you just have to pack your bags. Don't forget sun cream 🙂
The most difficult way. Local employers are reluctant to hire foreigners. To do this, they have to prove that a specialist of the same level was not found among the Maltese applicants. Alas, that is the law. Malta is a hospitable country though. but keeps its boundaries strictly. Therefore, if you are not a super-specialist in the field of IT technologies, medicine, banking, it will not be easy to get a job in Malta.
Only an employer can “call” an employee from another country with a residence permit. He needs to give you an electronic card with which you will come to the visa center for processing documents. You will also have to pass a test from the Maltese government.
Marriage with a local resident is not the easiest, but effective way to get a residence permit and a Maltese passport. To do this, you must live with a Maltese spouse for at least 5 years. The law also applies to widowers - if the spouse died before the expiration of the five-year period, the partner can still obtain the citizenship of the country.
Important: for fictitious marriages, the law of Malta provides for criminal liability and imprisonment for up to 2 years. You should not imitate ardent love where there is none, otherwise you will have to enjoy the sea view from the prison window for the next couple of years.
Also, a residence permit can be obtained if you have relatives on the island. They need to apply for a residence permit for you.
Conditions and procedure for obtaining a residence permit in Malta
To apply for a residence permit, prepare:
- passports of all program participants;
- three photos (3.5x4.5) for each person;
- copies of the marriage certificate;
- copies of birth certificates of children;
- medical insurance;
- Bank statements;
- a copy of the certificate of no criminal record (for participants over 18 years old);
- a copy of the declaration of the applicant's readiness to deduct the minimum income in favor of the Maltese budget.
It is difficult to apply for a residence permit in Malta on your own, and in the case of investment, it is impossible. Investors must be represented by an accredited agent. He will help at all stages of obtaining a residence permit - from collecting documents to moving and settling cases with documents in Malta. Contact us - we know all the details of the procedure.
How to get permanent residence in Malta
The program under which foreign citizens receive permanent residence on the island is called Malta Residence and Visa Program. Residents are issued a certificate - it is valid indefinitely, but it needs to be renewed once every five years.
What gives permanent residence status:
- The opportunity to be on the island all year round. However, this condition is not required. You have the right to live in any country in the world and not visit Malta at all. In other Schengen countries with a Maltese certificate, you can stay up to 90 days in 6 months.
- When investing in the country's economy, residents can sell assets after five years. The permanent residence status is not lost in this case.
- Citizens who have a certificate of residence on the island have tax benefits and can take loans from European banks at favorable rates.
Ways to obtain permanent residence in Malta
There are two options: to invest in shares and bonds of Malta or to obtain permanent residence through naturalization. Let's consider both.
- Pay an administrative fee of 40,000 euros.
- Buy shares of local companies or government bonds in the amount of 250,000 euros.
- Buy real estate at a price of 300,000 euros. A rental option is possible - the cost of rental housing should start from 10,000 euros per year. The contract is concluded for a period of 5 years.
- Confirm that your income exceeds 100,000 euros per year or certify the presence of property in the amount of 500,000 euros.
- Pay 2,000 euros to a Maltese non-governmental organization under the guise of a non-refundable contribution.
The most difficult thing is to pass the security check by the Maltese government authorities.
It is suitable only for those who are ready to permanently reside on the island. It is allowed to stay abroad for no more than 6 months in a row. The resident must attend a course on the history of Malta, write an official letter stating the reasons for the move. After 5 years, you can pass the exam and get citizenship.
How to get citizenship in Malta
It is easy to become a citizen of this country - it is enough to invest in its economy from 690,000 euros. In this case, the entire family of the investor has the right to obtain citizenship. At the same time, you do not need to know the Maltese language, history or permanently reside in the territory of the state.
Interesting detail: the more money you invest, the faster the citizenship procedure will go.
By the way, our company helps with obtaining citizenship by investment. Call +7 (495) 1-666-959 — we will tell you in detail about the nuances of the procedure and answer all your questions.
Three conditions for obtaining citizenship of Malta:
- make a contribution to the National Development Fund of the country (from 600,000 euros);
- pay a charitable contribution to a non-governmental organization (from 10,000 euros);
- buy or rent real estate (rent - from 16,000 euros per year, purchase in the amount of at least 700,000 euros).
Benefits of Maltese citizenship:
- Fast obtaining - the process takes from 1 to 3 years.
- The Maltese passport allows you to visit 160 countries without a visa.
- Working, living and doing business in the European Union.
If you are having trouble calculating the total amount you will need to spend to acquire Maltese citizenship by investment, please contact us. We will send you an individual calculation by e-mail within an hour.
Investment is the easiest way to get citizenship. But there are others:
- Marriage with a Maltese - 5 years must pass after registration.
- Naturalization - for those who have lived in Malta for 7 years.
- Citizenship by birth - the presence of relatives on the island will have to be proven.
- Obtain refugee status and live in the state for at least 6 years.
Citizenship is also given to those who have made outstanding services in relation to the country. But so far, not a single Russian has been included in the lists of honorary citizens.
Malta is the only country in Europe where foreign citizens can obtain all types of statuses: citizenship, residence permit and permanent residence. The process is, of course, complex. But efforts are rewarded with a calm, measured life on one of the most beautiful and safe islands in the Mediterranean.
If you have any questions, please contact us by phone +7 (495) 1666-959 or email email@example.com. We will help you move to Malta quickly and without paperwork!